Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lions Field Day


I've been wanting to scrap these photos from my daughter's field day, which occurred in April but I was feeling quite overwhelmed with the amount of photos I wanted to include. When I received the new Little Yellow Bicycle Makin' the Grade collection and saw the cork board paper I think my heart skipped a beat! It reminded me of the photo bulletin boards I often see in kids' rooms or offices with tons of photos tucked in them. I used that decor element as inspiration to create this 2-page layout. 

Supplies: Little Yellow Bicycle Makin' the Grade collection: MG-108 Cork Board/Brown Solid, MG-103 School Bands/Brown Stripe, MG-111 Multi Fun Dot, MG-122 Decorative Edge Cardstock, MG-135 Stickers - Favorite Pieces, MG1100 Tear-out tickets & Journaling Card Book, MG-305 Paper Crafting Kit, MG-201 Canvas Stickers - Self Adhesive, MG-277 Stick Pins, MG-230 Clear Cuts Shapes, MG-279 Chipboard Shapes, American Crafts This & That Tape Runner, American Crafts Thickers - Vinyl stickers "Sprinkles", American Crafts Amy Tangerine Thickers "Scenes", American Crafts pen .03 in black.

Journaling reads: You were soo excited about Field Day! You had hoped to be teamed with Maysie and you were! You had a blast competing in all the games and races.

By the way, her other BFF is Jane (pictured) and she had also hoped to be teamed with either her or Maysie. The journaling on the page reads as I wrote it above because I ran out of space and it just flowed better. She adores them both!


Creative How to: 
The first thing I did after I created the photoboard (read about it in the next paragraph) was to lay the die cut cardstock across both pages. I wanted it to tie the two pages together but didn't want it to dominate. I then layered the photo, journaling and embellishments over it. Then I took the canvas sticker banner, which comes in a straight line in the packaging but it has enough flex to curve it slightly. I then added star stickers, accordion ribbon and the title, using the silver glitter alphas to tie in to the thumb tacks, stars and trophy elements.

I used a sketch from Creating Keepsakes but altered it slightly. It called for the 2nd page to be designed just a bit different and for another photo. Like I said above, I wanted to design the 2nd page to resemble a photo bulletin board. I laid it all out with paper strips (cut to ~1/4") and then before I adhered them I played around with inserting the photos. Once I liked the placement, I removed the photos and adhered the strips to the paper. Note, I only adhered the strips where they cross each other, just like it would be on a real photo board. If you adhere the entire strips down, you won't be able to tuck your photos under them. :)

Once I had the board created, I tucked photos under the faux ribbon strips and "tacked" other photos using the chipboard stars as faux thumbtacks.




I am really happy with how this came together and how I was able to include 9 photos on the layout. One lat thing...I loved the little chipboard trophy but it needed a bit more to make it pop. I used the clear cuts shapes and stik pins to make it complete!
Thanks for stopping by today!

17 comments:

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

I love how you created a bulletin board look for this, Heather! So many wonderful details!

Audrey Yeager said...

Recognized tht sketch right away! Love this page.

Barbara said...

great 2 pager. I love your numbered banner.

Tracey said...

I love this!! Amazing!! The memory board-like background is awesome!!

angie gutshall said...

Love how you created a ribbon board! Great layout!

Christina said...

I love this bulletin board-what a wonderful idea! I have a ton of sports photos-this a great way to scrap them. Pinning this one!

laura said...

Awesome idea for all the photos...the corkboard with the "ribbon crossing" is perfect and very realistic

Diana Waite said...

this looks GREAT! I know what you mean about being overwhelmed with a lot of pictures I have a FEW stacks myself! ;)

Unknown said...

Great idea on the second page! I like the photo board!

Unknown said...

Military Challenge Coins
WOW! What a cool post it is thanks for sharing and just keep up the good work.

scrappymo! said...

Great job...the numbered banner is just great!
Also like the way you made the second page look like a photo pinup board!

Unknown said...

The cork board is perfect for these photos! Love how you fit so many photos creatively on the page.

Diana Fisher said...

Cool end result on this! Love it!! :)

Commercial Real Estate Software said...

You always share great posts and now i am going to bookmark your blog.

Custom Military Coins said...

how you created a ribbon board! Great layout!thanks alot for that.

Air Force Challenge Coins said...

Very nice blog.thank u very much for sharing,

Custom Challenge Coins said...

Great work and nice blog,thank you very much for sharing with us.