Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What do a Pinecone and a Beehive have in common?

In this case, they are non-traditional shaped cards.  Imaginisce challenged a couple of us designers to create cards that don't fit the typical shape and size that you normally think of for cards.  I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  I REALLY wanted to create a pinecone but I couldn't get the shape right and I didn't seem to have the right Cricut cartridge in my small stash of cartridges. I searched through clip art and even attempted to hand draw one but they just looked like weird blobs. On to Plan B, my next thought was a bee hive and I was lucky to find one immediately on my Sentiments cartridge.  It even had a pretty overlay - SCORE! 
I cut it out and then traced it over white cardstock and cut the shape so that it made a card.  I added the sentiment, a bee and a pretty bow.  I topped it off with some black bling.  It's very cute in person and not so cute in the photo - you can't see the dimension of the overlay, the popped up buzzing bee and most importantly, you can't make out the bling. 

Being the perfectionist that I am, I searched through my cartridges for another idea and low and behold, it's like angels started singing - I spotted a pinecone on the Create a Critter cart. This card came together so quickly.
I cut a base out of brown and then cut 4 more pinecones the same size out of 4 different pattern and cardstock colors.  Starting with the bottom layer, I cut  the first piece and adhered it, leaving the tip unglued so I could fold it up a bit.  I cut the 2nd piece up from the bottom and adhered it over the bottom piece, again leaving the tips unglued.  I did it again on the 3rd piece and the remaining pieces, though I had to add my own scalloping since I was cutting apart the cut-out.  I wantd the scallops to be oddly shaped so did some random cuts.  I topped it off with some ribbon and mesh looking ribbon that I also inserted into the pinecone here and there.  After stepping back to look at it I decided to add the sentiment inside, though a cute little dangling tag would also be cute. 

Supplies: Cricut Create a Critter shadow 5 3/4" cut; cut out of 5 papers - Bazzill Basic Brown T9-943 Mono (background) on Bazzill white cardstock card base. Layers - Bazzill Navel; Imaginisce Happy Harvest Collection - 003339, 003337, 003340; Misc ribbon

4 comments:

Emily D. said...

These are both fantastic!!! I really love how you did the pinecone!!

Rebecca Keppel said...

what adorable shaped cards!

Paige Taylor Evans said...

Oh my goodness! I'm in love with that pinecone card.

Diana Waite said...

these are CUTE!